Friday, January 7, 2011

Black Bean Soup


I'm beginning to understand why magazines tote reduced calorie recipes in January. My jeans are protesting against a comment I made in December about hating low-cal recipes. So I'm eating my words. I still hate food that tastes like card board, but every recipe box should include some recipes that fill you up without filling out your jeans.

This black bean soup recipe has a little burst of flavor. I think it's the jalapenos. Although the feta cheese that you sprinkle on top bring a little salty combination that really compliments the soup. This soup is so delicious. My husband, who doesn't like beans of any kind, accused me of being selfish because I made this soup, packaged it up in individual servings, and didn't share with him. Maybe I'll share this batch.
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, shredded
4 cloves garlic, pressed
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 jalapeno pepper, chopped into tiny pieces
2 (15oz) can black beans, undrained
1 (15oz) petite diced tomatoes, undrained
1 1/2c chicken broth

For garish
fresh cilantro, chopped
green onion, chopped
feta cheese

Spray Pam into your skillet. Sauté onions and garlic and transfer to your Crockpot. Add shredded carrot, cumin, jalapenos, beans, tomatoes, and chicken broth to the Crockpot. Cook on low all day. Sometime in the afternoon, transfer half the soup to the blender and puree. Pour back into the Crockpot and mix. Garnish with cilantro, green onions, and feta cheese.

If you don't have a crockpot: Pam the bottom of your pot. Add onion, carrot, and garlic. Saute until softened. Mix in cumin and jalapeno. Add beans, tomatoes, and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Puree 1/2 of the soup and return to pot. Mix well. Garnish each bowl with cilantro, green onion, and feta cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment