Monday, April 4, 2011

Cilantro Lime Rice


My girlfriend Lisa told me about this recipe so I begged for the recipe. I've been meaning to try it for awhile and I'm sure glad that I did. I left out the cilantro in the portion I gave my husband. He really doesn't like cilantro. When I tasted his batch, the lime was a little over powering, but when you mix in the cilantro you get just the right mix. The kids gave it mix reviews. Maura loved it, but Kaitlyn was happy to eat it after she'd picked out all the "leaves". I really liked this and will be sneaking it onto the menu from time to time.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
1c basmati rice
1 1/2c chicken broth
2-3 cloves garlic, pressed and chopped
2 Tbsp lime juice
zest of one lime
1/2c cilantro, chopped
1 tsp salt

Add the oil to a sauce pan and heat on medium. Add the garlic and rice to the oil and saute for about 2 minutes on medium heat. Add the chicken broth, salt, and lime juice. Turn heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn heat down, cover the pan, and simmer the rice for about 15 minutes. If the rice is too moist. Simmer a little longer. The texture of the rice in this dish is the same as if you cooked your rice in a rice cooker. I live at a higher elevation so I had to simmer my rice longer. When the rice is finished, mix in the lime zest and cilantro. Serve immediately.

Note: If you use long grained rice, follow the cooking directions on the package substituting the ingredients in this recipe for the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment