Sunday, June 16, 2013

Roasted Beets n Sweets

My kids long ago declared a fatwa on beets as a source of enjoyment or even nutrition.  I suppose they do not appreciate the color or texture, but I haven't given up.  I continue to introduce this vegetable into the household menu hoping to broaden their horizons.  The original yummy recipe was shared with me by one of my girlfriends, but I'm tweaked with it a little just because I didn't have garlic powder.  Also, where I live, beets are sold in bundles of four instead of six.  Here's what I did.



4 beets, peeled and diced
3 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 sweet onion
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 1/2 Tbs of olive oil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp on course salt (cooking salt or kosher is fine)
1/2 tsp ground black pepper


Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C).  Toss the beets in 1/2 Tbs on oil to coat.  Spread in a single layer in a large casserole dish. 

In a resealable plastic bag, combine the remaining olive oil, salt, pepper, and sugar.  Add the sweet potatoes, onion, and garlic.  Seal the bag and shake to evenly coat the sweet potatoes.

Bake the beets for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.  Add the sweet potato mixture and continue baking for 45 minutes or until all the vegetables are done, stirring the mixture after 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment